What to Bring With You

Download in English / Descargar en Español

This is a list of documents you will need to apply for different kinds of assistance.  (Some of them may not apply to you or your family.)  You need to bring original documents with you.  We will make copies.

You must prove to the worker one of the following:

  • Birth Certificate
  • Driver’s License
  • Old SNAP ID
  • School Photo ID
  • Work Photo ID
  • Voter Registration Card

You must have the Social Security Number for all household members.

You must prove where you live, unless you are homeless, with one of the following:

  • Current rent receipt showing landlord’s name & phone number, your mailing address, and amount of rent
  • Current rental assistance agreement
  • Current mortgage statement and/or tax bill
  • Current lease
  • Utility bill

If you are not able to work for medical reasons, you must bring a doctor’s note.

If you are not a U.S. citizen, you need a current I-94 or current I-551 (green card).


If you have any of the following, you must bring records, statements, or proof of their current value:

  • Bank Account (savings/checking)
  • Savings bonds
  • Money in a credit union
  • Christmas Club
  • IRA, Keogh or other investments
  • Property deed
  • Life/ medical insurance
  • Real estate (other than your home)
  • Burial plots/pre-paid funeral arrangements



You must show how much, how often you receive it, and where it comes from, with any of the following that apply to you:

  • Your last 4 pay stubs, showing gross wages and deductions.  If you are self-employed, last year’s tax records, with signatures.
  • Copy of pension check
  • Copy of interest statement from bank
  • Letter from employer giving amount of private disability
  • Child Support – copy of court order or letter from absent parent/copy of check stub
  • Signed/dated letter from provider of any money you receive on a regular basis
  • Property deed
  • Workers’ Compensation


What you pay each month:

  • Rent Receipt
  • Mortgage statement
  • Home Owner’s Insurance (if not included in your mortgage)
  • Gas/Electric bill
  • Phone bill
  • Water/Sewer bill
  • Coal/Wood/Oil bills
  • Residential insurance
  • Condo fees
  • Medical Bills that you pay on a regular basis (only if you are over age 60 or are disabled).

Child Care

If you pay for child care so you can work, go to job training or look for a job, you need a signed and dated letter from your child care provider with the following information:

  • Name of child care provider
  • Hourly /weekly/or daily fee
  • Number of hours per week they provide child care